Friday, April 17, 2009

CLASS ROOM

In the class room
People sit like young children
On small desks and small nursery type chairs
They all face the black board and the teacher
They are not supposed to talk
They need to be serious
They need to behave
They can't eat or drink
They can't tease girls on their right or left
They need to have pens and pencils
They need to have their note books
They need to come up with answers when the teacher asks them questions
They can't argue
They can't curse
They can't have a debate
They can't agree or disagree openly with any one
There is no room for any of that
Its a class room

I went to a class room yesterday
It was in the neighborhood
It was a small class room
Ten desks and ten chairs at the most
Ten students sitting on those small class room chairs facing the window which was facing the street
They were all facing the window as if they were told to face the window only
They were quite obedient
No one was talking
No one was laughing
No one was misbehaving
No one was even aware of the person in the next row

There was only one thing which had changed
There was no black board
There was no notebooks
They were still facing the window as if that was a black board
They were still very quiet
They were still very serious
No one looked at no one
They were looking down 
All eyes were downwardly cast

Instead of the note books they all had laptops
They were all looking at their laptops
The class room was very well organised
Rows of students were very straight
Students came and sat down facing the window as if it was a black board
Students came and sat down facing the window as if their teacher was standing there in front of the black board
Students came and sat down at their desks as if they were taking an exam

There was also an other thing different 
They all had a cup of coffee on their desks
The rules of the class room had changed a bit
The coffee cups were there

I didn't want to sit at the desk
I didn't want to face the same way as everyone else was facing
I didn't want to sit on thatnursery chair and stare at the window or at the laptop
I didn't have a laptop
I didn't want to go to school all over again
I finished school long time ago
All of a sudden I realized that all the students were adults sitting on the tiny nursery chairs and school desks
Staring at the window as if it was a black board
As if they all still in school
As if they all came to the class room on the day of exam
All serious,  non talking heads
As if they were all in a play with a single set to save money
As if they were directed by the British director Sam Mendez in Cherry Orchard

Where am I ?
Why am I back in school ?
Am I hallucinating ?
I was invited here for a cup of coffee by a lover
The lover is facing the window looking at his laptop like all other students
Have I gone back in time ?
Has time stopped ?
Why are they so serious ?
Why are they not talking ?
Why are they not playing and shouting ?
Why are they not laughing ?
Why am I in a class room ?
Why was I invited to a class room for a coffee ?

Why was I having this nightnarish dream of class rooms and exams and seriously un=happy students ?
Why was I invited by a lover to have a coffee in a class room ?
Why Is he not talking to me ?
Why is he on the lap top while he invited me for a coffee ?
Why coffee in a class room ?
Why is this adult lover in a class room all of a sudden ?

There were so many questions without answers
Then some one quietly shoved a menu in-front of my face while I was still standing
Oh!  its a cafe...........................
Oh! a new cafe in the fancy neighborhood
Oh! my lover invited me to a fancy new cafe in the neighborhood
Now I have to shut up and behave like a good obedient serious student
Now I have to shut up and stop complaining and order my coffee quietly without
disturbing the students....
They are in a class room...
Be quiet and have your luke warm coffee...
Didn't you want to go to a new cafe ?
Well your lover invited you to a new fancy cafe in the neighborhood
Its called, CLASS ROOM

No comments:

Post a Comment