Tuesday, January 31, 2012

"THEATER OF WORDS"
A
NEW PLAY
BY
BINA SHARIF

COPYRIGHT:Bina Sharif 2012

THE MOST SOPHISTICATED LADY: (SO CALLED)

Oh! I am sorry
You misunderstood me.
It must be your English.
You know what I mean?

I mean....
Your cultural origin....
Your background........

You know
You always wear nice scarfs...
Nice jewel
But your understanding of my support
system is cultural.
Origin, background.

You always wear nice scarfs
Nice jewelry
But your understanding of my support system
is cultural.

You know what I mean?
You understand what I am saying?

I mean you should be proud of yourself
You know my language
and I don't speak any hindi
even if your grammar is not there yet.........

UNSOPHISTICATED LADY: (SO CALLED)

You don't need to remind me
that I am inferior than you.
I already know and have understood that.

ANOTHER UNSOPHISTICATED LADY: (SO CALLED)

Yes, me too.
Remember last time
and many many times before that
you told me that I was inferior and since you
are such a great, great friend and my only support system
and my only supportive friend
in the west...
I really understood that...
and I am now in complete awareness of
my position of inferiority...............

THE MOST SOPHISTICATED LADY: (SO CALLED)

But still here and there
you can understand what we mean........

THE SECOND UNSOPHISTICATED LADY:

You don't need to apologize
since we are inferior
and trying to perfect our inferiority
in a superior atmosphere
so we can listen to you and like you.
I mean no wrong
but we need to listen to you
and correct our grammar....
You are perfectly correct
because here in correct and perfect grammatic society
we need to learn
the correct grammar ....
but actually that will
hinder our descent into inferiority
and to please you........................(Interruption by the third unsophisticated lady)

THE THIRD UNSOPHISTICATED LADY

And to please you
we need to go down to the ground
and we are almost there....
Actually you helped us get there
and now we are extremely peaceful
with our new superior position
which is our complete inferiority.

In order to make peace in the world
especially in the modern, liberated world
there has to be complete submission
and subjugation
and obedience
of one kind of people with incorrect grammar
to the other kind of people with perfect grammar
After all its the theater of words.

For so long we tried to be like you
tried so hard to learn the grammar
but alas...............

But now we have healed our self...............(Interrupted by the fourth unsophisticated lady)

THE FOURTH UNSOPHISTICATED LADY

We healed our selves finally
mind you with a great effort...
and now our tail is the proof.
We are fully tamed,
domestic, harmless inferior animals.

Gee, how can I convince you of your own superiority
if you yourself don't believe it?
and thats the problem between superior and inferior people.
If your grammar is correct
you are superior
and if its not correct
you are inferior.
Thats it
Simple as all that
You have been teaching us grammar
and we still got it wrong
Just can't get it right
because thats the sign of inferiority
in the theater of words.................
Words, thats all.
Words, words, words.............
I know the words but I don't have correct grammar...........
I accept it fully
that I am inferior..........

FIFTH UNSOPHISTICATED LADY:

We fully...
one hundred percent believe
that we are inferior people.
But you have to go to psychiatrists
and pay thousands of dollars to believe in your own superiority
though you describe your problems to the superior lady,(the psychiatrist)
in perfect grammar and even if she believes that you are superior
but just wants the money and have you on the leash...
you yourself don't believe in your own superiority....

Then sometimes just to prove your superiority
you literally kill.....
That's not superiority
that's violence.....................

We the inferior have come to peace
and you the superior have come to violence
and when you give the orders for violence
you use perfect grammar
because you are superior
and you are the lead actors in the theater of words.
And we?
Not even supporting players............
We are still considered animals............
Amazing...........
Modernity is so hard to comprehend
Just like grammar...........................

THEATER OF WORDS TO CONTINUE.



No comments:

Post a Comment